Monday, February 14, 2011

When I Grow Up....

 "My eyes are covered by the hands of my unborn kids, but my heart keeps watching through the skin of my eyelids"- The Arcade Fire

Throughout my life I have had many ideas about what I wanted to be when I grew up. 
  
I wanted to be a Marine Biologist. I loved the ocean, or "my" ocean, and therefore I was well qualified for the job. 

For a short time I wanted to move to Hawaii where I would be a kindergarten teacher/actress and marry a surf bum who had just so happened to have inherited his family's millions. We would live on the beach. He would surf, and I would teach and act. Unfortunately, that dream was lost somewhere along the way. 

Now, I am 22 years old and under four months away from graduation. This means I must decide what I will really do with my life. Deciding this is something I look at with fear, uncertainty and excitement. Although I may not have a clear-cut picture of exactly what I want to do with my life, I know I want to do something that benefits others and I want to make an impact. 

Maybe I will do what I currently plan to do; work hard and remain determined in my pursuit to have a career doing communications for nonprofit. Maybe I will explore creative writing or fashion. Perhaps I will join the Peace Corps. I could become a mother and enrich the lives of my children by taking them on grand adventures, teaching them about our weird, wonderful world and acting as a role model of strength, love and beauty. 

Above all, I hope to be happy and I hope to take full advantage of the life I have been given. I hope to count my blessings and to take down my disasters. I hope to share with others and I hope to make a difference. 

The sky is the limit and my horizon spans far and wide.






No comments:

Post a Comment